My goal for the 2017 Clarion Write-a-Thon is to write 50 stories in six weeks. I’ll keep track here and on twitter. My previous post has a list of rewards I’m offering if you donate to my cause!
- “Saving Big Daddy” re-write horror story
- “Ghost Toddler” re-write horror story
- “Carnival Fire” re-write horror story. (Day one had a theme, unintentional!)
- “The Eater of Dirt” new fantasy story.
5. “Space Captain Valraven Verses Venusian Vines of Death” – new erotic story
Day Three – Day Four:
I was at Cedar Point. I wrote both days, but not more than a page or two.
6. “Endless Summer on the Gemini” gee I wonder what inspired a short story about a Cedar Point Roller Coaster I rode 24 times over the past two days.
7. “Second Hand Destinies” A space ship designed to look like a Russian Orthodox Church where it snows every day in the sanctuary and a shape-shifter wanting to do good.
8. “Earth Day on a Generational Starship” another re-write and a dark one.
9. “Space DJ” in need of a better title.
I just kinda sucked on Day Seven.
10. “Loitering With Intent to Do Math” – it’s bizarre, post-scarcity stuff.
11. “On the Changing Roles of Dock Workers” – related!
12. “South of the Waffle House” – sorta tween summer adventure thing
13. “An Ever-Rising Vector” – experiment in re-writing a story from a different character’s POV.
The fourth! I revised “South of the Waffle House” and started two stories I didn’t finish.
14. “A Robot’s Guide to Hitchhiking Canada” inspired by a Thombot tweet.
15. “Amish Orphan Robots” inspired by a challenge from Nyla. Today is roboty!
So much suck. Tried to write one story all day, gave up on it and started a new one just before bed.
16. “First Impressions” Space Monks guard FTL travel with VIRTUE.
17. “Blackrock Road” This is the one I started before bed. Based on a post-apocalyptic poem I’d written.
18. “Picking Up the Trash” – Nanlee rides again! A sequel to my published story “Trash”.
19. “You Must Find Yourself” – a 2nd person Interactive Fiction about Cleveland.
20. “Kafka and the History of the Bra” – so it’s really a nonfiction essay but gee nonfiction is fun! You don’t have to make stuff up!
Game Jam conclusion! Much revising of “Find Yourself”.
21. “The Beauty You Cannot Buy” – accidental Kafkaesque transhumanism.
22. “Customer Review: Jesamie Blake’s Life 0-39” – what if lives were a consumable art?
Struggled with two started drafts, felt like a complete failure.
23. “How We Stopped the Reign” – Dystopian government is toppled by the power of Creedence Clearwater Revival.
24. “On Thursdays” – oh hey why only write optimistic sci-fi, right? Dark near-future everyone is dying thing but hey video games save the day? Sorta? Melancholic Nostalgic.
25. “Space Mermaids” – the kind that eat ya.
26. “Holly’s Time Mechanics” – re-wrote “The Time Mechanic from Holly’s POV. Like it better this way.
27. “Ray Guns” – a police procedural. ish. with ray guns and flying cars.
I realized “Ray Guns” was from the wrong pov and re-wrote it.
28. Merman fighting matriarchy thing that needs a title.
29. “Four Drinks” a possibly too literary mix of personal memory and space station myths handed down via alcohol.
30. Perils of Godmothering – fairy godmother tries to escape her annoying fair maiden.
31. Three Little Arcologies – wee startup green buildings face a big bad Wolf, Inc.
32. Insecurity Can’t Be Programmed Around – a failed relationship with a sexbot.